October 25, 2008

10/19 CVS shopping and TADA - Year Totals

Found my CVS receipts from last week in my binder.

CVS
spent: .87
saved: $97.20
Saved: 99%

(1-Powerade, 2-candy bars, 5-2pk. toothbrushes, 2-candy corn, 2-glow sticks, 2-toothpastes, 9-soap bars, 10-excederin, and 1-kleenex)

Since January 2008, I have tried to keep track of what I have spent on groceries and at CVS -

SPENT in 2008 (so far)
CVS: $138.37
Groceries: $963.55

SAVED in 2008 (so far)
CVS: $4,346.24
Groceries: $6,253.19

That's 97% at CVS and 87% on groceries. This includes all food, all personal care, all cleaning, and some but not all dog supplies. It's amazing to think back to when we had 7 of us in the house and I was spending around $1,000.00 a month on groceries. Now there is just 5 of us - my husband and myself, one preteen, and two teenagers (one is a vegetarian).

I don't do anything special to get these savings - I only buy something if it is close to free or free with sale and coupons. We do without some things but my pantry and freezer are usually completely full and my kids are never without food. I only shop, usually, once a week but will go during the week for fresh fruit and veggies, bread, eggs, or milk. (I miss my chickens!!) I have just started taking small trips to Kroger and Albertsons too.

I really want to rely less on stores though. I want to grow my own veggies, have an orchard of beautiful fruit trees, keep animals, etc. Call it homesteading, self-sufficient, or whatever. :) I am learning one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment