October 20, 2008

Pear Jam

You are always told to read the recipe thoroughly (check), get everything out and ready (check), measure carefully (check)....LOL! What you forget to do is read the title page (nope) and read the side notes (nope). So I want to make pear jam with my pears. Got my new book, Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and looked in the back of it for just plain pear jam. Saw cinnamon jam, no biggie, I can just leave out the cinnamon. Turn to that page, read the whole recipe, get out all the ingredients, and off we go.

Step 1: peel, core, and chop pears...okay can do. Have this fabulous apple corer...has those pears peeled, cored and in slinkies in no time. It worked really well. I picked this up at a thrift store some time ago. I think it is from Pampered Chef - from the pictures I found on the internet. The slinkies are easy then to chop up. Now if I would have read the side note it says FINELY chop. I just chopped.


Step 2: Put chopped pears, lemon juice and sugar in a pot and heat to rolling boil (check), a rolling boil - add pectin, bring back to boil, and cook for one more minute (check). Well, when I added the powdered pectin in, it stayed at a boil - so one minute later, I took it off the stove. STOP! Mistake 1-Top of page says recipes for LIQUID pectin. Mistake 2 - side note says use directions from pectin box. What???? Called a lady I know that cans and she said it should still be okay....sigh.... So, I put it in jars and process it and tada.......


Oh did I forget to mention that when the processing was done, I made another..uh...boo-boo? Now for a new recipe folks! Step one - heat up a tall canner on stove top...not just heat it up - bring it to a boil and let it boil for 10 minutes with lovely jam in it. Step 2 - take one short person (that would be me HI!!) and have her turn off the dials at the back of the stove. But what ever you do, do not reach around (like a smart person), reach right over the top of it and do this - see pic - to the tenderest, softest, ouchiest underside of your upper arm.


Anyway, this morning the jam is still not set. Shouldn't it have set by now? Can I reprocess it? As in dump it all back into a pot, reheat it to a rolling boil and try it again? Maybe the pectin wasn't cooked enough because it was powder instead of liquid? Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment