May 5, 2009

Texas Frito Pie

I'm not much of a cook! No surprise there to anyone who knows me! Usually, when my hubby gets home from work (around noon) he just says he will make him a quick something, no need for me to go to any trouble (isn't he a sweetie!). I don't know what happened today, but I thought I would make my hubby lunch.

We have been trying to use our stockpile. Hmmm, we have chili, Velveeta, and Fritos....oh yeah Frito Pie! I don't like Fritos but he does. We even have a few cans of hot Rotel! Perfect.

Frito Pie
- 1 pound of Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 can (10oz) Rotel (I used Extra Hot!)
- 1 bag (10oz) regular Fritos (or the chili cheese flavor)
- 2 cans chili (with or without beans) or 5 cups homemade chili
- 7 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (I had white cheddar)

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with non-stick spray. Combine Velveeta cheese and Rotel in a saucepan (or microwave bowl - directions below) and heat slowly until cheese melts. Heat the chili in another saucepan (or in microwave).

Place half the bag of Fritos in the baking dish. Spoon half of the chili over the Fritos. Cover with all of the Velveeta/Rotel sauce. Scatter the remaining Fritos over the cheese sauce. Cover with the rest of the chili and sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes.

(four servings...or in my families case just enough for my hubby and son!)

Microwave: To microwave the cheese sauce, place cubed Velveeta cheese in a bowl. Microwave until mostly melted (about 1 minute depending on your microwave). Mix in all of the Rotel. Microwave 30 seconds, stir, then 30 more seconds. Do not over cook.

Pretty easy...even for someone like me.

And the final masterpiece....

No comments:

Post a Comment